Our school’s pedagogy reflects the overarching principles and approach to learning outlined in the Sydney Catholic Schools’ Statement on Authentic Learning. By connecting to the real world of students’ lives, authentic learning enables students to become lifelong learners who contribute to society and the wider world as active and discerning citizens. Authentic learning is central to our work as Catholic educators because it promotes the continual growth and wellbeing of the whole person; spiritually, intellectually, emotionally, socially and physically.
At Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School Cabramatta:
We value a learning environment that is:
- Engaging, positive, supportive, safe and inclusive
- Flexible, collaborative, organised and well-resourced
- Supportive of independence, displays and celebrates learning and provides a range of scaffolds and models.
We value learning experiences that;
- are meaningful, purposeful, contextual and relevant to life experiences
- are motivating, engaging, collaborative and inspiring
- are data informed, planned collaboratively, explicit, scaffolded, encourage risk taking and success orientated.
- have a strong oral language focus and allow for the gradual release of responsibility (GRoR)
We value teachers who;
- are passionate, motivated, innovative, knowledgeable, flexible and open to learning
- are explicit, challenge, scaffold, set high expectations
- set realistic goals and clearly articulate learning intentions
- monitor learning and provide timely, constructive feedback
- build student relationships and have high respect for students.
We value students who are:
- self motivated, creative, perseverant, risk takers, curious and resilient.
- inquisitive, ask questions and engage in inquiry and problem solving.
- positive, confident, organised and connected to their school.